The Rise of Mobile Search Engine Optimization
The Relationship Between Mobile Sites and Search
Search Engines Treat Mobile Sites Differently
Mobile SEO Best Practices
Generally, search engine optimization for a mobile website is similar to optimizing a desktop website. Relevant and fresh content will keep users interested. Be sure to use unique, descriptive and readable titles. Meta descriptions should be unique and have a strong call to action.
In addition to all of the above recommendations, there are some baseline tips for mobile SEO best practices that may seem obvious, but often are forgotten:
* Make sure your mobile site doesn’t limit access to just mobile devices (because search bots are not mobile devices).
* Create and submit a mobile sitemap.
* Be sure to optimize your site’s performance to render fast results for users and search engines.
* Make sure your mobile URLs are viewable on a mobile device (Google will not deliver them in results unless they are compatible with published mobile markup standards such as XHTML Basic 1.1, XHTML MP 1.2 and WML 1.3).
* Register your mobile site on Google Places, which recently unveiled a location-based recommendation engine called Hotpot.